Sunday, October 03, 2010

Trip to Library and Writing Goal #1: POEM Haiku for Leighton

Took a trip to the library yesterday, and as usual, left with a hefty stack of books.  Not sure how long it will take me to read these bad boys, as I'm not putting a time limit on myself, but I will have plenty to read for the upcoming Oct. 9th Read-A-Thon  (More on this in another post.  And I hope some of you will join me!) 

The list:
Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer retold by Peter Ackroyd
Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin
All In One Place by Carolyne Aarsen
Dismantled by Jennifer McMahon


I read the Canterbury Tales in college but found them extremely difficult to get through without the helpful translation of my professor.  I loved the stories though, (and wrote one myself as an assignment - I'll have to post that to share soon) so here's a retelling that I can read and hopefully enjoy in modern day English!  I can't wait to revisit the tales of the The Knight, The Wife of Bath, The Cook, The Friar, etc.  They were actually hilarious tales that were "a mirror for medieval society."

Also in college literature classes I became fascinated with Charles Dodgson, better known to most as Lewis Carroll, the infamous author of Alice in Wonderland.  So when I heard about Alice I Have Been, a historical fiction novel based on the original Alice who inspired Mr. Dodgson to spin his legendary tale, I knew I had to get my hands on it fast!

The Immortal Fire is the third book in a series that I started reading when my daughter brought home the first book, The Shadow Thieves.  She never got around to reading it so I, being the book raptor that I am, snatched it up and read it in a couple days.  What fun it turned out to be!  I love children's novels that spark the imagination and tell a story with such rich description and believable characters.  So I read The Siren Song next and the mythological fun pulled me towards the 3rd installment in the series.  Can't wait to get back into the adventures of cousins Zee and Charlotte!  

Rebecca Wells had me with The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.  So much so, that I read both follow-ups: Ya Yas in Bloom and Little Altars Everywhere pronto upon completion.  My love for all three of these fantastic novels makes reading The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder a no-brainer, regardless of an entirely new set of characters.  Rebecca Wells paints worlds where you want to be, and I can't wait to enter another of her worlds again soon!

All in One Place and Dismantled are both random picks.  I like to surprise myself by pulling something off the shelf I've never heard of before.  Let's hope they deliver! 
***********************************************
So because of my lack of blog posts, I'm really behind.  Behind on book reviews, (keeping up to date on Goodreads), reading challenges, goal updates, etc.  So for the next few days and weeks I am going to work my tush off trying to get caught up.  I have a lot of reviews to write and I finished so many of these books months ago!  I hope I can remember enough to write worthwhile reviews!  I will do my best, and that is all I can promise.

On to my writing of the day!  It's a short one, but written with love for my granddaughter, Leighton, who visited me this weekend.  I wrote it as we went on an afternoon walk.

Haiku for Leighton
Leighton loves her walks
The shady trees smile and wave
Cheers!  Leighton is here!




No comments:

Post a Comment