Saturday, April 10, 2010

Read-A-Thon Update: Slap Happy but Still Reading

So we're entering into hour number 19 and I am really starting to show signs of wear.  There are deep, dark circles under my bloodshot eyes and I spent a good portion of the time I'm supposed to be reading, trying to predict how The Master Puppeteer ends.  My exhaustion prevented me from just reading and finding out sooner that way.  Instead I entered into a delirium with my 12-year old and we erupted into slap happy laughter over nothing.  I eventually recollected myself and FINALLY finished the book!  Woo Hoo!  Almost 2 books down.  Really.  What was I thinking? 15 books?  Never try to attempt to read that many books in a 24-hour period on 3 hours of sleep.  Never. 

First of all, the brain does not function correctly or with any amount of speed whatsoever; and as much as you try, it can't seem to make the connection from the words on the page to the part of the brain that comprehends those words.  I have read many sentences over.  Numerous times.  Unfortunately, that means lots of time spent "reading" equals itty bitty number of pages read.  Ah well.  I read on with happiness.

Since I last updated, Randi finished another book, Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary.  I'm sure she's read it before, but it's been a while.  As she giggled throughout the book, I remembered how much fun it is to read about Ramona.  So, that's 2 books down for Randi.  I'm pretty sure that's it for her tonight.  She's so tired that she's not feeling so great.  She wants to read more, but it's just not happening.  She's off to bed!

Sydney is back to reading again after a lengthy break.  She is reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw by Jeff Kinney. As much as I love to see her reading, it is late and I will be prompting her to bed soon. 

It's been so awesome reading with my girls today.  That has been the best part of this challenge - our time spent together.

Randi and Sydney on the last leg of their reading tour

Mini Challenge:
Hosted by Literarily Speaking
This was a fun one because it asks readers to ponder the first book they ever loved.  For me, that was the Little Golden book entitled The Monster at The End of This Book starring Lovable, Furry Old Grover.  Not only was Sesame Street the show I watched on a daily basis transfixed to the television set, but Grover was my favorite character.  He was bumbly, furry, blue and silly.  I loved his antics and finding him at the end of the book instead of the scary, ferocious monster he prepared readers for....well, it made me want to hug him at the last turn of the page.  I still do.

Number of books read since started: almost 2 
Pages read since last update: 79 pgs
Running total of pages since started: 253 pgs 
Amount of time spent reading since last update: 3 hour 5 minutes
Running total of time spent reading since started: 8 hours 35 minutes
Mini-challenges completed: 7
Other participants visited: none at this time
Prize you've won: none
What I've eaten/drank: Dinner at Islands...2 Baja tacos and an iced tea. 
What I've been doing when not reading:
  • having a nice dinner with my family
  • laughing hysterically
  • trying to read but not computing
  • helping Sydney rinse her hair





 

1 comment:

  1. Hour 19... the hour that did me in....LOL

    It was fun doing the readthon - hope you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete