Saturday, April 10, 2010

Read-A-Thon Update: Halfway Point

Mid-Event Survey:


1. What are you reading right now? The Master Puppeteer by Katherine Paterson (which I am throughly enjoying!)


2. How many books have you read so far?  2, not all the way through either yet 


3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Pleasing the Ghost by Sharon Creech


4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day? Not really.  It's a nice Saturday for reading! 


5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?  The only interruptions I've had are those from my kids which aren't bothersome at all to me.  In fact, I need interruptions to give me some breaks from reading. 


6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? First, how little I've read.  I thought I would be much farther along by now.  I'm normally a fast reader but am moving at a snail's pace today.  I am also surprised how involved some of the mini challenges are.  I think if I spent less time on some of them, I could be reading more.  They are so great though and hard to pass up!  I've had to pass up a few that I would've really liked to do.


7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?  For those relatively new to blogging, as I am, it is rather cumbersome to orchestrate the posts, the links, visit different readers and post and link successfully in time for the deadlines.  I think if there was some sort of "pre read-a-thon" (with some instruction on how to handle some of the bloggy stuff), to prepare those who need it, it might make the process go smoother for us newbies!  :)  I also feel that some of the challenges are great, but shouldn't be a  part of the read-a-thon, but rather outside posts for daily interest, because they are rather involved and take up a lot of precious reading time.


8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year? I would get a full night's sleep the night before!  I would set up templates days before the Read-a-thon so I could spend less time typing and more time reading.


9. Are you getting tired yet?  Oh yes!  But I can't tell if it's from reading, or not getting enough sleep the previous night!


10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered?  Pick a physical reading buddy, whether it be your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, a neighbor, whatever.  It really makes it fun to have someone who is reading alongside you. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! You won a prize from the readathon but I don't have your email address. Can you check out the latest readathon post and email me at deweyreadathon at gmail? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete