Saturday, April 10, 2010

Read-A-Thon Update: Hour 9

I can't believe I am on Hour 9.  I haven't finished one book yet!  I picked out 15.  Hmmmm....wonder how close I'll get to finishing all 15!  HA! 

I feel like I'm reading slower than normal today because I made the mistake of only getting about 3 hours sleep.  When husband works graveyards, I don't sleep well.  Which is strange for me, because throughout my family I am known as a "coma sleeper."

I'm a little tired.
Just a wee bit. 
Hard. To. Read. FAST!!! 

It's one of those times when you can read an entire paragraph, or page, or chapter, and have no recollection of what you just read because your mind is muddied with other thoughts or lazy daydreams.  Randi knows what I mean.  We chatted about it as we read together, legs sprawled out on the couch.

Randi woke up about 11-ish and began reading beside me. 
Here's what she's working on:
New Moon & Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days.
As of this update she is also feeling extremely tired, but is doing the best she can.  As of this update, she hasn't finished either book.  According to Randi, she is almost finished with New Moon but can't seem to get past a rather slow-moving part at this time.

Sydney just woke up!  Boy what tired kids!  We went to bed WAY too late.  She is on her computer right now probably watching silly youtube videos and trying to wake up before she cracks open her first book.  I wonder which one it'll be...

My update:
Still working on Wicked and The Master Puppeteer

I am thoroughly enjoying The Master Puppeteer.  This book was recommended to me by my daughter, who just read it for her 7th Grade Language Arts class and liked it enough to pass it on.  She has helped me understand the class system of feudal Japan (12c. - 19c.) to better understand the setting for this book.  What a smart girl!  I am continually in awe of her brilliance!

Wicked isn't at all what I thought it would be but I love the character of Elphaba, more popularly known as The Wicked Witch of the West.  Can't wait to see how the story unfolds further.  With that, I better get back to my reading.

Title of books read since last update: Wicked by Gregory Maguire and The Master Puppeteer by Katherine Paterson

Number of books read since started: parts of 2
Pages read since last update: 45 pgs
Running total of pages since started: 133 pgs
Amount of time spent reading since last update: 1 hour 20 minutes
Running total of time spent reading since started: 4 hours 15 minutes
Mini-challenges completed: 4
Other participants visited: none since last update
Prize you've won: 0
What I've eaten/drank: 2 cups of coffee! 1/2 turkey,salami and cheese whole wheat sandwich with some pretzels 
What I've been doing when not reading:
  • Talking to Randi
  • watching, with fascination, my husband sew as he works on a costume for a puppet my daughter is making for a school project
  • fixing food to eat for Randi and me 
  • eating and drinking coffee
  • updating blog (this seems to take most of my time)
  • posting Read-A-Thon on Facebook status
  • relaxing in my bed chatting with Randi between sentences read

1 comment: