Saturday, January 15, 2011

How to Keep Fresh Berries Fresh

About a week ago, I bought some blueberries that were on sale at Sprouts for $1 per 6 oz. container. (* A 6 oz container will provide a little over a cup of berries.)

I have no idea what I am going to use them for, or WHEN more importantly, and since blueberries (and other berries) don't last long in the fridge I freeze them for later use.

Here's how:
  • Rinse berries thoroughly
  • Line little critters up on a baking sheet or small dish (depending on what you have).
  • Stick in freezer for about 1 - 1-1/2 hours
  • After berries are frozen, take them off plate or pan and put them into a freezer ziploc.
  • Label bag and stash in freezer for future recipes. I like to use them in smoothies, pancakes, muffins and pies.
Rollaway Blueberries
Unfortunately, my little 6 oz. container is missing a few blueberries. The grocery bagger placed my delicate blueberries with my eggs and I put the bag in the front compartment of the grocery cart. As I exited the store and went down the ramp to the parking lot, my blueberries decided they didn't want to come home with me and slid out of the bag and through the leg opening of the cart.

Blueberries everywhere!

I probably should've went inside to get some more, because I'm sure they would've given them to me with no problem, but I didn't want to take the time and effort, and luckily, they didn't all escape the container.
 
Instead, I held traffic to pick up my little container and save what was left of my precious blueberries! I'm sure the driver had a few nice words for me...
 
Recipe?
I think I'm going to try these blueberries, along with some of my frozen raspberries and/or blackberries, in a muffin of some sort. Once I try the recipe I will let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment